Thursday, July 24, 2008

A lesson in the Russian language

Okay, if you didn't read the previous post about the rainstorm, please go down and read it first.

No, seriously. If you didn't you should read it first and then come back up here.

Okay, I'm trusting that you've read it....

last chance................

So, without getting graphic here, I am going to tell a funny story on my daughter Sophie. She'll shoot me for this one day, but it's soooo cute! So Winston and I are sitting on our bed in the mid morning hours talking. Sophie was in there running amuck carrying blocks around or something that a two year old would do. She stopped dead in her tracks and held on tight to the footboard. Uhoh, I thought. I think she's gonna have a bowel movement!!! They've been really nasty, so as she stood there bracing herself, I figuratively was bracing myself for what I would have to endure only moments later. Sure enough, we heard those unforgettable noises... the kind you hear when your kids blow on each other's tummies and giggle for five minutes. But there was no giggling piercing the air. Not yet. The only thing piercing the air at this point was a retched smell!!! I looked and her and told her it was okay (I think they maybe got punished at the orphanage if they went in their pants). She did have a diaper on afterall. I'm no dummy! This isn't the first baby I've raised. :-)
So anyhow, I quietly and sweetly said "Uhoh! Did you poopy?" and she looked at me with those gorgeous brown eyes, with her eyebrows raised and simply said "Kaka" which is Russian for "poop"!
Oh, my gosh I thought I would die laughing inside. I may have giggled a bit but I was dying inside! The other funny part of this is, they told us at the orphanage that she couldn't speak and that she would be 3 before she would say anything. She will be 2 tomorrow. And I will have to tell her that the first real word we heard her say was "kaka".

Now, back to that story I posted yesterday. I supposed the answer is "oh, kaka! where are my wipers????"

2 comments:

Julie said...

I can just see the entry in her lifebook- First Word- Kaka! She will love that when she is a teenager and you tell the story of her first word.
Julie

Heckert's Highway said...

Jen and Steph here... we can't stop laughing! Even though we have heard the story live (although, luckily, weren't there to smell the real thing), these are some great memories. That is some good stuff! :) We love you Sophie! You are too sweet!