Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Peculiar place....

To say that this is a peculiar place is an understatement. I think I've talked about the corruption that seeps out of the pores of this country. I have talked about the bread being sold from the trunk of a car (no wrappers on it), the way I've seen a sheep in the back of a car in the middle of town, the way you can get a pack of gum as change, or buy three diapers at a time.
I haven't talked about a few other things that are "strange", but maybe it's just strange to us, as Americans; so, here are a few observations. There are traditional, older Kazakh women who are randomly scattered on the streets, parking lots, etc... and they sell various things to eat or drink. You get a bowl of some sort of traditional concoction dipped out of a bucket. The bowls are regular bowls like would be in our kitchens. After the customer eats the food, it gets rinsed out in another bucket (along with all the other bowls of the day) and placed back out as "clean" for the next customer. This is sort of like fast food here in Kazakhstan. In this photo, a man who took some time for lunch during a work day stopped to get some food from this lady, including courld which is like a salted curd ball (like cheese I think) and mare's milk. yes, Mare's milk. (I shutter to think of drinking it) Many of you know that I was a vegetarian for most of my life, and then once we began farming, started eating meat again. At this point, I would be SO happy to see a McDonalds!!! LOL By the way, I asked for their permission to take their photo. They were happy to oblige.

Some of them make a drink from various fruits, vegetables, and grains. There are some people, mostly women, who have an ordinary bathroom scale, usually decorated with various stickers, and they charge you to use it. I think bathroom scales are a luxury here, so you might as well just pay from time to time. Keep in mind, this is just on random street corners, parks, etc... None of these "enterprises" are regulated by health/safety/food quality kind of people like would be at home. If you get the notion to set up a stand somewhere, more power to you.
There is very little rain here, but the mountains provide water for a long hot summer. There are concrete ditches that have valves in them, and we've seen people go and open up the valves to fill their water bottles. The other day, while we were waiting to cross the street, a man was filling a water bottle. The water was spraying Jasmine and Winston; I saw the sunlight catching the millions of droplets as they shot over the man and onto my husband and child. I have to say, it was pretty amusing, but definitely peculiar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is definitely interesting and peculiar. Since we were there in the dead of the winter, we did not see these kind of sights. Thanks for sharing.

Beckie

Julie said...

Paying to be weighed in public is not something I would want to do. It is probably a good weight control method!
Julie

kazdream said...

Hey guys, we're home!!! Sorry for calling so early the other morning, but I was in panick mode. They had two drivers for us (1st time that had happened-so we were already confused)...well the first driver dropped me off with the luggage at the airport and then took off. I stood outside waiting for Steph and the other driver for about 30 minutes. Then I went inside (with all of the luggage btw) and tried to search the airport. That went on for another 20-30 minutes. No sign of Steph or the other drive or anyone. I was starting to freak out. This guy kept pestering me about getting a cab so finally I said "hey I need your cell phone." Of course it ran out of minutes right away so I had to buy him a new Beeline card. I tried to call Steph's cell, but it didn't work so I called you...(I know 5am...sorry) just then Steph showed up. They had gone to pick up another family and didn't tell us. Of course the drivers couldn't speak english anyway. ;-)

But, thanks and sorry. Good luck in Almaty. I hope you guys get home soon!

Brad

Kim said...

Oh that is so funny about the McDonalds. David hit the one at the Amsterdam airport hard when he finally got there. :)