Saturday, July 19, 2008

Playing Doctor with the Baker's Man



Now that I've got your attention by the title of my post, I'll explain. My asthma has been really bad here because of pollution, dry air, etc... I've had to get medicines here, after Skyping my doctor back home. They told me what to get but said they can't write a prescription. Not a problem!!! Here, you simply go into any pharmacy and tell them what you want. You pay for it and get on with your life. You don't even have to have it written down. you just tell them. The same goes for medical testing. You don't even make an appointment, you just go in and tell them you want an ultrasound, an x-ray, or an MRI, or whatever, and you're done. An x-ray is $5.00, an MRI is around $100. You get your results immediately too. No waiting around, you just get them handed to you right away. Now, having said all that, the healthcare system here is not even close to what we have in the states. You just hope and pray you don't have any major medical issues while in-country. If you do, you might be straight out of luck. It's interesting to say the least.
There are people who go to the back of apartment buildings and yell or speak over a megaphone about the fruits or vegetables they have for sale. One day a man with a horse pulling a cart of watermelons was behind ours. Another day, there were women with buckets of apricots.
I saw a guy with a sheep in the back of his car (a live sheep) in the middle of town. It was a pretty funny sight! Here's a picture.
Pat a cake, pat a cake baker's man. Bake me a cake as fast as you can. And don't put any sugar in it; make it as bland as possible. That's what the rest of the nursery rhyme would be here! ha ha! And also, some other interesting findings; they put out big cardboard boxes of cookies and you just reach in and get what you need. No gloves or tongs required. I was completely sold AGAINST the idea, when I saw women pick up cookies, and then toss them back into the box.
I see on a regular basis people pulling up to markets with loaves of bread they have brought in the back of their car. No Tupperware, no bags, just stacks of bread on the floor of their trunk. And another day I saw a store employee with a whole shopping cart full of loaves of bread. But they were not wrapped up; they were just in a cart all by their lonesome. And then she grabbed a loaf with her hand, again, no gloves. The cart was just one that was from the front of the store.
It's funny in comparison that our local Kroger store in Kentucky has antibacterial wipes beside the shopping carts so you can wipe them down before you begin pushing them.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Wow what an interesting blog! I'm sorry your asthma has been so bad. I do love that you can just walk up and get whatever drug/test that you need. And it is a little weird about the bread in the trunk of the car. I do think that america is extremely germophobic.... but I guess I would rather it be that way than having people handle bare food and stick it back on the shelf. Hmm...

Anyhow I miss you. I'm on your porch right now, getting ready to stick chicken in the crockpot for whole foods and do laundry so we can pack up to leave for camp. :) I can't wait for you guys to be back. camp won't be the same without you there!